Momentum is the key to any large project and I am starting to realize how easy it is to lose. I have known for a long time that one of the key components of a successful build is working on the project every day. I doesn’t have to be a lot, maybe even just sitting in front of the computer and talking about it will do, but something has to be done every day. It seems like the longer you go between work sessions the harder it is to get back out to the shop. I came out of my week off in June like a steamroller. During the weekend I would do the major, time-consuming processes and leave the small half hour or so projects for the weekday. Cheryl is also a major motivator for me. We get home about the same time and she likes to work out in the shop for an hour or two so that gives us some time together in the shop.
Finishing the building jig and laying the keel let me “temp install” the frames and, for the first time, see the shape of the sailboat to be.
Just by standing the frames up I realized just how big this “sailing dingy” is. Of course I hopped up in the captain’s chair and did some daydream sailing. Snapping back to reality this gave me the boost I had been needing.
For a little while I had been stuck in a rut. I had finished all of the frames from the stem to frame six but for some reason I just couldn’t bring myself to work on frame 6a or the transom; thinking back now I understand why. This frame makes the forward side of the motor well and is the place the outboard clamps to. Both of these frames come with a warning in the build manual. “Make this frame with care as the vibration of the motor may destroy any poorly glued joints, and note that those area under particular stress are screwed as well as glued.” That warning and a buildup of small defects in the other frames eroded my confidence just enough to keep me from finishing these two frames. Now that I could see Idle Hands coming together there was no way to put it off any longer.
The transom turned out to be the big interruption in the build. I had been moving quite well, buoyed up by seeing the final shape of Idle Hands. I had hopped up on my workbench to drill a couple of holes for alignment pins on the rudder doublers. When I had finished I hopped off and my foot landed on my pile of off cuts that I had been tossing on the floor all day and rolled to the side. The end result was a trip to the walk in clinic and a full week in a cast and on the couch. After the cast came off I made it a point to stay out of the shop for another week just to make sure all is well.
I am back at it now but I can tell you that I have nowhere near the drive that I had before I sat on the couch watching Dr. Phil for a week. I can understand how, if you take an extended break from the build it would be almost impossible to finish. Even over the last couple of weeks I can find more and more excuses to stay away from the shop. Today I break that pattern! Wish me luck as I head out to the shop for a productive weekend.