The first half of this update is nothing more than a re-hash of what I said in the last post. When I left off last time I had one properly bent chine stringer and one broken. It took a week and a half to get the right hand stringer installed. I wanted to try steaming the board again so I set up my steamer and tried it again. This time the outside edge of the board rolled up on me and “set” before I could get it back into place. The end result was one more broken chine stringer. More words were said, the dogs hid their faces in shame. Back to the drawing board.
Licking my wounds I went about the process of mounting the center case to the floorboard. This, for a change went really well. I could tell just by setting the case in place that it was going to sit level when screwed down so there was minimal sanding and fitting to do. I drilled and countersunk pilot holes for my attaching screws on the bottom, dry fit everything for the 20th time just to be sure, then pulled it all apart and roughed up the mating surfaces for the glue. The case is glued down with 3M 5200 adhesive which is permanent but flexible. One tube of glue and a big mess later and the case was down.
After airing my steam-bent miseries on Facebook, Mr. Welsford suggested laminating the chine stringer out of multiple pieces that were easier to bend. I took his advice and made the third stringer out of two pieces. This worked a lot better than steam bending and it looks like it’s a lot stronger too.
Now that both chine stringers are on I can start standing up my frames in earnest. The first one I set was the transom.
I set this one first because it was the only one that really stands on its own. Frames one, two, and three all depend on the stem to center them, frames four and five marry up to the center case and require a lot of fitting, frame six just hangs out and frame seven needs the transom for support. Plus it looks cool. One suggestion I do have for everyone out there is to leave the center lines on all of your frames! The picture above should show you why. I made the mistake of sanding off most of my reference lines and I am paying for it now. It makes aligning the frames a lot easier when you have a center line on the floor and one on the frame.
This evening I have the stem glued in and drying. The rest of my work time this week will be fitting the frames from front to back and getting them ready for glue. It’s starting to look like a boat now!